Wednesday, March 24, 2010

What is modesty? The Bible doesn't say exactly what we are to wear. Is it ok to wear short-sleeved shirts? What about tank tops? Is it ok to wear them what it's really hot? Should you wear them to church? Does it really matter about what you wear to church and other places? What about "spaghetti strap tops"? They are just sort of a different tank top, right? Where, really do you draw the line? What is right? What is modest and what is not? Why does life have to be so confusing!

I do not wear any shirt that exposes my shoulders. Here's why. When my daughter was 3 years old she talked to me about how some ladies don't dress politely when they show their shoulders to other people. What kind of mother would I be to tell her that it's ok to show her body when she thinks it's immodest. A week or so before she told me this, I had pulled out the little plastic pool. I filled it with water in the yard and her two older brothers put their swim suits on and began jumping in and out of the cool water. I helped her out of her clothes and into the swimming suit. Once on, I said, "Ok. You're all set. Have fun." She looked at me oddly. "What do I put on now, Mommy? I can't go outside like this. I feel funny. I don’t have clothes on." I told her, "No, Honey. That's it. It's a swimming suit. It's ok. You can go outside now." While saying each word, I clearly remember my speech becoming slower. What was I saying? Was I actually saying that even though she didn't feel dressed, because of the name of that particular article of clothing, it was fine and right and good that she leave the privacy of her bedroom?

Well, we don't wear swimming suits anymore. My children still play in water on warm days. They wear their clothes and then when they are done, we hang them on the line and they put on dry clothes. It is amazing how God uses the questions and simplicity of our children to teach us.

What is "modest swimwear"? If there was ever an oxymoron, that phrase is up there with the greats! There is absolutely nothing modest about swimwear. Oh! Two inches less of your thigh shows?! Please. Who are you trying to kid? People put on “swimming/bathing suits” because that's what people do when they go sit or stand next to large containers of water. Does it have to be deep enough to cover your ankles or is spraying water around sufficient to justify taking off your clothes? Is a puddle big enough?

Do we stop to think about the messages that we are sending to others? There are a few. First. If you are a believer, a follower of Christ, how are you visibly set apart from the sexual image that the secular world has set up? Have you been tricked into thinking that these are our cultural norms? Maybe our culture does not have holiness in mind when they promote these trends.

Secondly. What are our brothers in Christ to do when even Christian women are covering or exposing their bodies with the culturally normal coverings clinging to their bodies? What kind of example are we putting forth for our daughters? Why do people think that modesty changes with the location and name of the fabric? Are men really inclined to look/lust more or less based on where the women are located and what the name of their clothing is? Ask them!

The real issue is this. Are you living your life to bring glory to God or to yourself? Really?! I Peter 1:14 says, "As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy."

If God has saved your soul from hell, then your aim in life should be only honoring Him by striving for holiness. May we walk worthy of our calling to not be conformed to his world, but to be transformed and changed by His Grace only and do all for His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment