Sunday, May 10, 2009

Our sermon today, about the responsibility that I have, as a mom, to train and teach my children.  The part that made an impression on me was how important the Word of God is.  I am here on this planet to share the gospel and the first mission field for me, as a mom, is my children.  Truly, nothing else matters other than sharing my faith with the children God has given me.  I Peter 1 tells the subjects that I am to faithfully teach my children.
"And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; and to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; and to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity."
Deuteronomy 6 gives direction on when and where and how often to teach my children.
"And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up."
My children are sinners.  They must be saved or they will go to hell.  I am commanded to teach them all I know and learn as often as I am with them.  It is true that I can not save their souls.  God knows who His children are.  Yet, the command to train them up in the way they SHOULD go, is very clear.  It is my responsibility.  I must obey.  

As I plan next year's lessons and books for school, I must consider what my focus is.  Is it more important to memorize the dates and places of various wars?  or hide God's Word in our hearts so that we might not sin against Him?  Not that academics are wrong, but so often they take over.  Bible becomes a class, a workbook to do and then move on to the next subject.  God's ways are to be a part of our every moment.

May God grant me (and anyone who even might read this) His grace to fulfill this immense role of mommy.

1 comment:

  1. You said, "Is it more important to memorize the dates and places of various wars? or hide God's Word in our hearts so that we might not sin against Him?" I'll go with the second sentence. Right on!

    ReplyDelete